M.A. with a Major in French, German or Spanish
Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester credit hours for the master of arts and a minimum of 30 semester credit hours for the master of arts and education.
For the degree of master of arts or master of arts and education with a major in French, German or Spanish, students must meet the following departmental requirements:
- present an undergraduate major in the language of interest from an accredited college or university;
- satisfactorily complete at least 18 hours of graduate credit in the major language (including courses FREN 5010 and FREN 5020 or GERM 5010 and GERM 5020 in French and German, SPAN 5010 and SPAN 5110 in Spanish);
- satisfactorily complete an additional 12 hours in the major language or in approved, cognate courses;
- pass a comprehensive examination; and
- demonstrate a reading proficiency in a foreign language other than the major. This may be done either by earning a passing grade in a foreign language course at or above the 3000 level, by passing an examination administered by the Department of Foreign Languages, or by successfully completing a graduate reading course offered by the department.
A thesis may be presented for an additional six hours of credit in lieu of the comprehensive examination.