Teacher Education Programs
Degree and Licensure Requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Education degree in any of the professional education programs must complete a minimum of 120-128 credit hours of course work (as determined by the program) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. Students also must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better in all professional education courses and in all teaching fields. The cumulative average includes all grades for credits earned plus grades of IN and F and those acquired in repeated courses at The University of Toledo and at other institutions that the student attended.
Undergraduate programs in the Judith Herb College of Education meet all University of Toledo requirements for the bachelor’s degree. They also meet all state of Ohio, national professional association and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Programs (CAEP) standards for program accreditation and initial professional licensure. Programs vary in length depending on licensure area.
Students who successfully complete all college degree requirements, student teaching/internship and licensure exams will be recommended for a teaching license in Ohio. For additional information on licensure requirements, students should inquire in the Office of Student Services. The above policy reflects not only college action, but also the requirements of CAEP. In addition, the State of Ohio requires students to submit fingerprinting cards to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation before a professional license will be issued.
Criteria and Procedures or Admission to Professional Education
To be eligible for advanced professional admission to a teacher licensure program, a student must demonstrate:
- Current enrollment in the Judith Herb College of Education. Students should apply for admission to professional education no later than the fifth semester of full-time enrollment.
- Completion of a minimum of 48 credit hours of approved course work, including pre-professional education courses.
- Cumulative GPA (for transfer students, a higher education GPA) of at least 2.7; UT GPA of at least 2.7.
- Completion of pre-professional education courses with a grade of C or higher and a minimum 2.7 GPA.
- Core math completed with a passing grade.
- Core composition II completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Students must have a cumulative GPA in their major/licensure area(s) of at least 2.7.
- Mastery of reading, writing and mathematics skills as evidenced by minimum scores (at least 50th percentile) on one of the following standardized assessments: ACT, SAT, or Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core).
Below are acceptable scores (current scoring scale) on these nationally normed assessments:
- Passing scores for the ACT are as follows:
Passing Scores Tests Scores Mathematics 21 Reading 21 Writing 06
- Passing scores for the SAT are as follows:
Passing Scores Tests Scores Mathematics 532 Reading ("Evidence-Based Reading and Writing") 543 Writing ("Essay-Writing Dimension") 05
- Passing scores for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests are as follows:
Passing Scores Tests Scores Mathematics 150 Reading 156 Writing 162
9. Acceptable progress in licensure content courses or published criteria.
10. Prior experience with appropriate populations in schools and agencies based on satisfactory completion of introductory courses/seminars, letters of support and/or portfolios.
11. Effective communication and interpersonal skills based on early experiences, introductory course/seminar(s), ratings from professionals in the field and/or interview ratings.
12. Verification of good moral character as stipulated by the state of Ohio. Students will not be allowed to continue in a teacher education major or participate in a field experience if they have pleaded guilty to, have been found guilty of, or have been convicted of a criminal offense listed in R.C. 3319.31 or R.C. 3319.39. Students should refer to a list of the rules and statutes in the Ohio Revised Code and the Ohio Administrative Code that are applied by the Office of Professional Conduct at the Ohio Department of Education. All rules and statutes listed will result in removal from all teacher education programs.
13. Completion of additional published program admission criteria, if any.
Each licensure program will determine those eligible for advanced professional admission. Students will apply for and be notified of admission to professional education after a minimum of 48 to 72 credit hours of completed program course work. Students not admitted may reapply when identified deficiencies have been corrected. IMPORTANT: Each undergraduate licensure program has established a set of guidelines and procedures that students seeking admission to professional education will follow. Students should contact their adviser or department chair for assistance.
Students must maintain the required GPA (as outlined in the admission criteria) and complete satisfactorily the professional education courses and field experiences with a grade of C or above in each in order to maintain full admission status, and qualify for licensure.
Students with Transfer Credit
Transfer students are required to complete all course work at The University of Toledo with a minimum of a 2.7 GPA overall, in professional education, and in all teaching fields. In addition, they must meet all requirements for admission to the professional education programs as outlined above. The GPA standards are for The University of Toledo course work, as well as for all other college course work attempted.
Transfer students must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours at The University of Toledo and must complete a minimum total of 48 credit hours of course work before applying for admission to professional education. Students are responsible for initiating this application.
Students who intend to be teachers can expect to spend extensive amounts of time in schools and community agencies as they progress through required professional courses and internship experiences. Introductory courses and exploratory seminars offered to students in the pre-teacher education program may include field experiences. Students will be required to assemble portfolio evidence of experience as they progress through their programs. Students must submit to background checks and fingerprinting. Transportation is the responsibility of the student.
Student Teaching/Internship Requirements
To qualify for an assignment in student teaching/internship, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Full admission to professional education;
- Completion of a minimum of 100 credit hours;
- Completion of 90 percent of the course work in the major area(s) of study;
- Completion of all required prerequisite professional education courses including methods course(s) and satisfactory completion of all field experiences;
- A minimum GPA of 2.7 in major(s)/licensure area(s), professional education, University of Toledo GPA, and overall as determined by the overall higher education GPA; and
- Meeting Ohio’s good moral character requirement.
Student Teaching/Internship Assignment
The staff of the Field Experiences Office makes all field placements in keeping with the best learning situation for the individual student. Student teaching/internship is not offered in the summer, because it is not possible for students to complete the equivalent requirement.