Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester credit hours for the master of arts and a minimum of 30 semester credit hours for the master of arts and education.
For the degree of master of arts or master of arts and education with a major in German, students must meet the following departmental requirements:
- present an undergraduate major in the language of interest from an accredited college or university;
- satisfactorily complete at least 18 hours of graduate credit in the major language (including courses GERM 5010 and GERM 5020);
- satisfactorily complete an additional 12 hours in the major language or in approved, cognate courses;
- pass a comprehensive examination; and
- demonstrate a reading proficiency in a foreign language other than the major. This may be done either by earning a passing grade in a foreign language course at or above the 3000 level, by passing an examination administered by the Department of Foreign Languages, or by successfully completing a graduate reading course offered by the department.
A thesis may be presented for an additional six hours of credit in lieu of the comprehensive examination.