Student Responsibilities

Students are responsible for correctly selecting courses for their programs of study each semester and for fulfilling all degree requirements. Although advisers will assist wherever possible, the final responsibility rests with the student. Students are expected to make sure that they are fulfilling all degree requirements, as published in the issue of the catalog of the College Natural Sciences and Mathematics under which they entered. Students who have been out of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics for 12 consecutive months are responsible for the requirements in the University catalog under which they reenter.

Transcripts and Degree Audit Reports

A transcript is a complete chronological list of a student’s academic course work (including all courses attempted and grades earned). It does not show how specific courses apply or do not apply to University and college requirements as stipulated in this catalog. For example, developmental, non-repeatable and certain other courses are not counted toward minimum credits for degrees, but appear on transcripts. The Degree Audit Report (DAR) details all requirements applicable to a student’s academic program (degree, major, minor) and applies the student’s courses on the transcript (including transfer credit) to those requirements. The DAR should be used to identify requirements remaining when all registered courses are completed. Students may view their transcript and DAR through the myUT portal with Student Self-Service.

Declaring or Changing a Major or Minor

To declare a major or minor or change one previously declared, students should connect with the College Student Services Office (UH Room 3000 or at .

Sequence of Courses

There is no single prescribed sequence of courses, except that all first-year students should take NSM 1000 and any courses required on the basis of placement testing and/or high school deficiencies. Students should consult the later sections of the catalog devoted to programs of study and course offerings, and they should review their programs with their academic advisors to ensure they complete courses in the proper sequences. In addition, students should use their Degree Audit Reports to track their progress.

Entering students majoring in mathematics or in one of the areas of the natural sciences usually should begin the special courses designated as prerequisite for advanced courses in their first year. For example, calculus is a prerequisite for other mathematics courses and for later courses in physics, chemistry and geology. General Chemistry I and II, the Biology Fundamentals of Life Science sequence, and Fundamentals of Geology are prerequisites for succeeding courses required for majors in these areas.

Study Abroad

Students who plan to study abroad must be sure that their proposed course of study is properly accredited. Students should ascertain in advance from their advisors whether the course work will count toward their general requirements, majors, or related areas or only be regarded as elective. Information about study abroad programs is generally available from advisors in many college programs and departments and from the Center for International Studies and Programs (Education Abroad Office).

Transient (Guest) Enrollment at Another Institution

College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics students must have advance permission both to enroll elsewhere as a guest and to take specific courses. The Transient Student form for this purpose is available in the College Student Services Office and on the college website. Students enrolling without permission will be considered transfer readmits upon their return to UT. Natural Sciences and Mathematics students enrolled as transients or guests at another institution must submit an official transcript to the UT Office of Admission at the conclusion of the enrolled term. Grades of all courses attempted in the major, minor, and UT Core will be used in cumulative GPA calculations.

GPA Recalculation for Repeated Courses

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics permits a maximum of 18 semester hours of course work to be deleted from the UT GPA calculation. Students who have had their GPAs recomputed under the Academic Forgiveness Policy are not eligible for grade deletions. Criteria governing this policy are given in the Undergraduate Policy 3364-71-05: GPA Recalculation: Students should check with the College Student Services Office for more specific information on this policy. Students may not use repeat courses taken at other institutions to qualify for a GPA recalculation.

Withdrawal Policy (W Grades)

The number of credit hours of W is limited to 22 hours for all undergraduate students in degree programs in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Once a student has accumulated 22 hours of W further withdrawals will be counted as F’s in computation of the student’s UT GPA for purposes of probation or suspension. In addition, students who receive financial aid risk the loss of financial aid if they accumulate excessive hours of W. Students who transfer into the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics from another college at The University of Toledo will bring with them the number of W’s accumulated in their previous work.

Academic Probation

A student whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 is automatically placed on probation until a 2.0 cumulative GPA is achieved (See Withdrawal Policy above). It is recommended that a student on probation not enroll for more than 12 to 14 credits.

Academic Suspension

Academic suspension means that a student is prohibited from registering at The University of Toledo for a period of at least one semester. Students are subject to academic suspension if their GPA falls below the minimum GPA listed below or if they fail to make sufficient progress toward attainment of the degree. (See Withdrawal Policy). Students may remove Incompletes while under suspension. A student is subject to academic suspension if the cumulative GPA is less than:

  • 1.0 for 10 to 19 hours attempted;
  • 1.5 for 20 to 29 hours attempted;
  • 1.7 for 30 to 39 hours attempted;
  • 1.8 for 40 to 49 hours attempted;
  • 1.9 for 50 to 59 hours attempted;
  • less than 2.0 for 60 or more hours attempted.

After accumulating 60 credit hours without suspension, a student may be suspended if the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters.

Trial Readmission Policy

After the required suspension period, a student may petition for readmission to the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics to the Director of the Student Services Office. The petition must be received by the posted deadline on the Student Services reinstatement website (link below). If the petition is accepted, the college committee will determine the terms of the conditional registration agreement, under which the student will be permitted to re-enroll. Suspended students who are granted readmission must maintain the designated GPA for each semester thereafter and meet the conditions of their readmission agreement. Students failing to meet these conditions are subject to a one-year suspension. Full details including procedures, deadlines, and how to file a petition for reinstatement can be found on the Student Services website (

Dismissal Policy

Students who fail to meet the conditions for readmission after their second suspension are subject to dismissal and are not eligible for readmission to the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics for at least three years. Criteria governing this policy are detailed in the undergraduate policy 3365-71-06: Academic Forgiveness:

Academic Grievance

A student has the responsibility and right to call to the attention of an instructor any grade that the student believes to be in error or unfair. A student may appeal the decision of the instructor, in order, to the department Chair, the Dean, then to the college appeals committee if the problem is not resolved. If the problem is not resolved at the college level, the student may appeal to the student grievance council . (See also the Academic Grievance section of the Policies and Procedures of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Policies and Procedures.pdf for more information on the steps and timeline of the appeals process within the College, prior to the petitioning the Student Grievance Council).  If a student chooses to appeal to the university level Student Grievance Council the student file the appeal no later than the last day of classes of the semester (including summers) following the one in which the grievance arose.The procedures for making an appeal to the student grievance council may be found on the Provosts Website:

Statement on Academic Dishonesty

A student found to be academically dishonest by a faculty member may appeal, in order, to the department Chair, the Dean, the college appeals committee and the University student grievance council. The procedures for making an appeal to the student grievance council , as outlined for academic grievance in the previous section. Criteria governing this policy are detailed in undergraduate policy 3364-71-04: Academic Dishonesty:

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics will accept a maximum of 21 semester hours of CLEP through successful completion of the four general examinations. Additional credit may be earned through satisfactory scores on individual subject examinations. Refer to the University of Toledo Registrar’s CLEP Credit web page ( for specific information on minimum scores needed to award UT Credit and specific credit awarded.

Advanced Placement Program

Refer to the University of Toledo Registrar’s web page ( for specific information on minimum scores and credits awarded for Advanced Placement examinations administered by the College Board Advanced Placement Program.

Pass/No Credit Option

Students may elect to enroll in certain undergraduate courses for Pass/No Credit rather than an A-F grade. Students must complete a petition to take a class Pass/No Credit and obtain the approval of their college before the end of the 15th calendar day of the term. Grades of C or better will be changed to PS, and grades of C-, D+, D, D-, and F will be changed to NC. The grades of PS and NC do not affect the grade point average. Refer to programs of study in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics section of this catalog for the limitations on pass/no credit grading in effect for different majors. Undeclared students, as a general rule, should not elect pass/no credit grading in major-level courses.

Graduation Progress Evaluation

As a student approaches 80 earned credit hours, the student should sit down with an advisor to complete a Graduation Progress Evaluation.  This process is initiated by the student.  Please contact the Student Services office at or 419.530.2671 to schedule this appointment.  Detailed information regarding Graduation can also be found here:

Field Experience/Internship

Policies and procedures for incorporating field experiences or internships in academic programs vary from major to major. Some majors require a field experience or internship; for other majors, they are optional. Students should seek information from their major departments and obtain advance approval for all field experiences or internships.