A student who meets all of the criteria described below may petition the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies to remove from their graduate cumulative grade point average all those grades earned under the student’s prior enrollment at The University of Toledo. The petition must first be approved through the appropriate academic college channels prior to submission to the College of Graduate Studies.
- Degree seeking graduate student.
- Had previous enrollment at The University of Toledo.
- Not enrolled at The University of Toledo for at least two years prior to current enrollment. Under exceptional circumstances a student may apply to the College of Graduate Studies for a waiver of the two-year rule.
- Under exceptional circumstances a student may apply to the College of Graduate Studies for a waiver of the two-year rule.
- Maintain a current graduate grade point average of 3.0 or better for the first semester of re-enrollment if full-time or the first 12 credits of re-enrollment if part-time (not to exceed three semesters)
If the student’s petition is granted, the following will apply:
- This policy only applies to the student’s graduate grade point average. There is no impact on a student’s earned hours.
- All University of Toledo grades will remain on the student’s official, permanent academic record (transcript); this process will affect the cumulative graduate grade point average only. It will not remove evidence/documentation of the student’s overall academic history at the university.
- No grades/credits from the student’s prior graduate enrollment at the university may be counted toward the subsequent degree program requirements. Degree requirements may only be met by courses included in the calculation of the student’s cumulative graduate grade point average at The University of Toledo. Thus, the student who successfully petitions for cumulative graduate grade point average recalculation under this policy automatically forfeits the right to use any of the excluded course work toward the current degree requirements.
- Credit earned from other institutions during the two-year period will not be accepted for transfer credit.
A student may exercise this graduate academic fresh start option only once, regardless of the number of times the student enters/attends a graduate degree program at The University of Toledo.
The Academic Fresh Start option applies only to students re-enrolled in the summer 2011 term or beyond. Students re-enrolled prior to summer 2011 are not eligible.
Related link: Petition for Academic Fresh Start