Academic Standards

A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (four-point grading system) in graduate coursework is required for graduation. Graduate students whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 during any semester will be placed on academic probation. Depending on the program, a full-time student on academic probation will have one or at most two semesters (excluding summers) to meet the cumulative GPA standard. A student failing to meet the standard will be subject to dismissal. A part-time student on academic probation will be required to meet the GPA standard after 12 additional credit hours of graduate coursework. A grade of C (2.0) is the minimum passing grade for graduate courses. Therefore, any graduate course in which a grade below “C” or grade of “U” was earned will not be used to fulfill graduation requirements. Grades of below “C” will continue to be counted in calculating the cumulative grade point average. Individual programs may offer a specific number of credit hours with earned grades of C or below to be repeated one time. Colleges are permitted to establish individual program course retake standards. However, such standards shall not exceed two courses up to a maximum of 12 credit hours. Both the original and repeated grades will appear on the transcript and be calculated into the cumulative GPA. Colleges/departments/degree programs may enact additional coursework grade requirements beyond the minimum standard established here by the Graduate Faculty. Graduate students shall be responsible to consult with the appropriate graduate degree program director for the applicable standards. 

Grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, S, U, WP, or WF may be awarded depending on College/program/departmental policies. A limited number of graduate courses earn grades of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) upon completion. A grade of S will be allowed for credit toward graduation but is not computed in the grade point average. A grade of U earns no credit and the course must be repeated to earn graduate credit but is not computed in the grade point average. The grade of PR may be awarded to indicate work in progress and courses with this grade will not be included in the GPA calculation. The assignment of this grade is highly discouraged unless extenuating circumstances exist. The grade of IN is assigned only under extraordinary circumstances when unexpected events prevent a student from completing the requirements of the course within the term of enrollment. The student must complete the required work before the end of the following semester (excluding summers) in which the IN grade was received; otherwise the grade will be converted to the grade of F by the Office of the Registrar. The student may initiate a request for an additional semester to complete the work for the grade (excluding summers). The extension is granted upon the approval of the faculty member and the associate dean of the college offering the course. Once the IN grade has been converted to F, the student must re-register and take the course again. The grade of IN will not be included in the GPA calculation. It is recommended that faculty set specific benchmarks for completion of the course or material each term, and regularly assign S, U or IN grades as appropriate instead of awarding a PR. Students may not graduate with a grade of U, IN, or PR on their Plan of Study. Students may not graduate with a grade of IN or PR on their transcript. A grade of WP (withdrawal passing) or WF (withdrawal failing), according to the status of the student at the time of withdrawal, will be assigned to students who withdraw after the university established withdrawal period at the discretion of the instructor. The grade of WP will not be included in the GPA calculation. A grade of WF indicates that a student’s work is unsatisfactory (grade of less than C), and will be included in the GPA calculation as a grade of F. Students may repeat courses with grades WF or U subject to the maximum credit hour repeat limitation.