The University of Toledo offers a bachelor of science degree in healthcare administration. This degree requires 120 credit hours for graduation. The health care administration program provides students with knowledge and skills to act as healthcare administrators in a variety of settings, such as hospitals, long term care and outpatient facilities, physician offices, and public health agencies. This interdisciplinary program introduces students to managerial concepts and related skills. The health care core courses enhance students’ knowledge in a variety of related subjects, including current health issues, legislation affecting health care, and management theories and decision making, all of which are important in health care administration. The degree program includes a minor in business. The program can be completed online.
HealthCare Administration Internship
The healthcare administration internship is designed to provide students with an opportunity to apply educational achievements in a health care setting. Students will be exposed to health care administration operations through project-based work. Project opportunities will vary and reflect both the participant’s learning goals and the needs of the health care organization.
To be considered for the internship, students need to:
- Declare healthcare administration as their major at least one semester before beginning the internship.
- Complete at least 12 credit hours in health care administration required courses with a minimum grade of “C” in each course.
- Have a current minimum 2.5 overall grade point average.
- Apply to the healthcare administration internship prior to their last semester before graduating.
- Complete the healthcare administration internship application three months prior to the internship semester.
- Provide resume to healthcare administration faculty.
- Interview with healthcare administration faculty and health care organization.
- Be able to provide their own transportation to the health care organization.
- Attend the health care organization’s orientation.
- Complete required immunizations from the health care organization.
- Obtain security badge from the health care organization.
- Have approval from healthcare administration faculty to complete internship.
Below is a sample plan of study. Consult your degree audit for your program requirements. Grades of "C" or better are required in all HCAR courses.
BS in Health Care Administration with Business Minor
|BUAD 1020 |
or CMPT 1100
|Micro-Computer Applications In Business |
or Microsoft Office Applications
|ENGL 1110||College Composition I||3|
|HHS 1000||Health And Human Services/College Orientation||1|
|MATH 1730||Calculus with Applications to Business and Finance||5|
|ECON 1200||Principles Of Microeconomics||3|
|ENGL 2960||Professional and Business Writing||3|
|HEAL 1800||Medical Terminology||3|
|SOC 1010||Introduction To Sociology||3|
|Diversity of US||3|
|BUAD 2040 |
or ACTG 1040
|Financial Accounting Information |
or Principles Of Financial Accounting
|ECON 1150||Principles Of Macroeconomics||3|
|HEAL 2700||Introduction to Public Health||3|
|BUAD 2050 |
or ACTG 1050
|Accounting For Business Decision-Making |
or Principles Of Management Accounting
|EXSC 1560||Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology||3|
|EXSC 1460||Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology Lab||1|
|HCAR 3000||Introduction to Health Care Administration||3|
|BUAD 3030||Managerial And Behavioral Processes In Organizations||3|
|HCAR 4560||Services in Healthcare||3|
|MATH 2600||Introduction To Statistics||3|
|Natural Sciences Elective||3|
|BUAD 3010||Principles Of Marketing||3|
|HCAR 4360||Quality Improvement In Health Care||3|
|HCAR 4570||Resources in Healthcare||4|
|HEAL 3800||Death And Dying||3|
|PHIL 3370||Medical Ethics||3|
|HCAR 4530||Problem Solving In Health Care Environment||4|
|HCAR 4550||Health Care Finance||3|
|HEAL 4560||Health Problems Of Aging||3|
|MGMT 3630||Conflict Management: Mediation & Negotiations||3|
|HCAR 4540||Internship In Health Management||3|
|HCAR 4580||Leadership and Management in Healthcare||3|
|HURM 3220||Human Resource Management||3|
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills: Develop the ability to effectively assess, analyze and solve issues in healthcare.
Communication: Develop the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with individuals and groups.
Leadership: Develop the skills to help attain the organization's strategic mission successfully.
Ethics and Professionalism: Develop the skills that align personal and organizational conduct with ethical and professional standards that include a responsibility to the healthcare community.
Students are able to demonstrate understanding of key concepts